This blog is designed to highlight the paddling opportunities within South Dakota, mainly within a 50-mile radius of Sioux Falls. While Sioux Falls is far from the adventure of coastal regions, there is a certain satisfaction in utilizing the available waterways to observe weather, water conditions, and the landscape along the shoreline. In addition, there is a wealth of animal life on the waters of small South Dakota lakes, rivers, and creeks, including geese, ducks, pelicans, great blue heron, egrets, hawks, owls, perching birds, deer, raccoons, and beaver. Eagles, fox, and coyote are also sometimes spotted.

The sites described are places where I have kayaked over the past few years, mostly in South Dakota but sometimes including locations in Iowa and Minnesota. One of the best sources of information on the accessibility of small lakes is the South Dakota Atlas and Gazetteer, the large map book of South Dakota. Lakes with a public access are generally identified by a boat symbol marking the location of a launching site on public land.

You will notice the menu of paddling locations on the right side of the blog. Each of the postings is linked to one of the areas, and my intention is to provide a continuing review of the places where I paddle. Perhaps these narratives will help readers select waterways of interest to them. Please feel free to offer a comment regarding any of my postings; I would welcome the dialog.

I also maintain a companion blog that describes hiking opportunities within the Sioux Falls area. You can access that blog at: http://hikingsiouxfalls.blogspot.com

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Welcome!

This site covers the lakes, rivers, and waterways of the great state of South Dakota. It is intended to communicate my experiences in exploring kayak sites within the Sioux Falls, SD, area. While Sioux Falls is far from the adventure of coastal regions, there is a certain satisfaction in utilizing the available waterways to observe weather, water, and shoreline conditions. In addition, there is a wealth of bird life on the waters of small South Dakota lakes. The sites described are those that I have traveled in the past couple of years. One of the best sources of information on the accessibility of small lakes is the South Dakota Atlas and Gazetteer, the large map book of South Dakota. Lakes with a public access are generally identified by a boat symbol marking the location of a launching site on public land. Most of the sites that I visit are close enough to Sioux Falls that I can go out in the morning and be back home for lunch. So, I am primarily interested in those waterways within 40 miles or so of Sioux Falls.

I now have a fleet of three kayaks. My main boat is a 13 foot Dagger equipped with a rudder, and I have an older 10 1/2 foot Dagger that I use for more rocky or shallow streams. Either of these kayaks fit easily on the Yakama rack that I keep attached to my Honda Civic during the paddling season.I also have a 12 foot Folbot, a fabric covered kayak with a collapsible frame that can fit in the trunk of nearly any car - including my Civic. When I go out by myself, I generally use one of the rigid kayaks. When I have someone along and need two kayaks, I take the Folbot along as well.

Please feel free to comment to me regarding any of my postings. I would welcome the dialog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got the address from the Prairie Paddler. Your site is very interesting and I suspect the kids and I will be back to look again.

Dale Bower
Garretson